Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Murder in the first degree...

I don't know what possessed me to inquire about four little black kittens today. But I found myself calling Mrs. Cutcheon who had called a couple of weeks ago claiming that she had found four kittens by her house and they all needed homes. I told her back then to bring them in so the doctor can exam them, deworm and vaccinate them. She had money concerns and decided to just nurse them to a healthy age and ship them off to their new homes.
Well, another client called a few days ago asking if we had any female kittens looking for a home and I told her no but if I hear of one I will let her know. And just today it dawned on me that maybe one of the black kittens was female. So I called Mrs. Cutcheon to see if she had any females. She informs me that she brought three of them to Domestic Animal Services because she couldn't keep them any longer. So I call D.A.S. to see if I can locate them. Apparently I didn't have enough information to track them down so I relate this to Mrs. Cutcheon and she says she will call instead.
She then calls me five minutes later shouting into the phone, "THOSE MURDERERS!! HOW CAN THEY DO THAT! They were healthy baby kittens. They didn't even give them a week to be adopted out!! I AM SO ANGRY!! I told off the lady on the phone. How could they do that? How can they be so evil? THEY KILLED THEM!!

Ahh, yes, but evil resides, in all spaces and corners. Most of the times it's form is so subtle but it's there.

Where was she when they told her that they would be given five days and they then become the property of D.A.S.? What did that mean to her? Did any of that sink in or did she just hear no evil at the time because it was an inconvenience solved for her.

Where was the person who euthanized the kittens? Where did she go in her mind to not see the horror of what she was doing? All to feed her kids and her family. Or worse yet, to pay for her vacation in the islands.

Why is it legal to euthanize healthy robust animals? Why is it legal to butcher animals? Why is it legal to hunt animals for sportsmanship?

We have a long way to go to come out of this darkness...

No comments: