Wednesday, October 22, 2008

5 Gold teeth

"So when are you going to pay up?" said the Veterinarian to the couple sitting in the examining room. "You said you'd settle the bill by now. We had an agreement." He posed these questions as the vet tech is trying to feed the five puppies huddled in the basket and squirming for milk. The couple look rather uncomfortable and the one of them says, "Well, I don't know. We're really tight on money right now." The woman chimes in, "I just started my job this week. And we made a payment just this week."
" Well, I don't know," says the vet and then turns to me, "Make sure they make a payment. You can check to see if she has any gold teeth. One for each puppy that's left...And as for him, aah you can let him go." He then walks out of the room without even a glimpse towards the puppies.
I continue to instruct them on how to finish rearing the puppies and to let them know I am available if they need any more help. I also fing myself offering to help them take care of the puppies if they cannot. I could have kicked myself but I just couldn't bear the thought of the owners neglecting to feed them or ignoring one of their cries in the middle of the night. They definitely don't deserve that kind of treatment.

Another beautiful day in the south....

No comments: